Tuesday, May 6, 2008

David Does Dubai ... and Oman







Greetings,
Who woulda thunk that there are big mountains on the Arabian Peninsula. And modern cities filled with spectacular skyscrapers. I ventured out of the routine of camp life in Dhahran on assignment to study the geology of Oman. Our trek started in Dubai, where we rented 3 Hummers for our expedition. We actually reserved 3 Landcruisers, but apparently reservations are not a credible component of this culture. I spent 2 days in Dubai. I was expecting an Arab version of Las Vegas, but I was pleasantly surprised. Dubai has a sort of charm. It is mesmerizing to think that they built this huge city in a few short decades. I started by indulging in some indoor snowboarding at Ski Dubai. Once again, my expectations were exceeded by good powder and a fun slope with a high speed quad chair and Reggae music. The 2 hours of skiing was refreshing with the 100 degree temps outdoors.

I stayed in a luxurious 5 star hotel - the Dusit Thani Dubai. The tallest building in the world - Burj Dubai is viewed from my window. The Thai staff were gracious. I enjoyed and reciprocated the greeting of bowing with hands in prayer at the heart. My second day in Dubai was enjoyed meandering thru the old part of town, with historic walkways and souks with a variety of wares. The meals and buffets at the hotel were fabulous, but one of my favorite meals was a paper bag filled with pokoras - deep fried battered veggies - from the Pakistani vendor in the souk. It was more of a cultural experience. Dubai is split by a creek that is navigable inland and is used for shipping and filled with water taxis. I took a tour of the town by boat.

I did not have time to explore the attractions along the coast with beaches, marinas, and water park. I guess that can be saved my for my next visit, when my family is here with me.




No comments: