Thursday, January 17, 2008

Connected from an Island

The Internet is amazing. Being easily connected to the world, friends, and family when in a remote location is a technology miracle. I don't feel like I am 10,000 miles away. I went for a drive in my minivan today to explore the community. I drove around the camp perimeter. There are a mix of stone walls and wire walls surrounding the camp. It is sort of like a gated community in Houston, but at a larger scale, about 5 miles in diameter. And the gates are more secure. Cars have stickers, and residents have ID badges. People travel in and out freely. Getting proper IDs, stickers, driver's license and registration has been a beaurocratic labyrinth. I think they create extra admin jobs to keep the Saudis employed. I can't drive off camp until my vehicle is registered and I have a driver's license. I am anxious to explore the beaches. I watched an episode of Babylon 5 at a friend's house the other night, and it reminded me of work. B5 is a space station that has a diverse community from across the galaxy. The difference at Aramco is they don't have antennae and scales, and we all breath the same atmosphere.

dlt 1/17/2008

1 comment:

Danielle said...

i have antennae and scales